theTakeover is a multiple player game supporting business professionals in the ideation phase of strategic innovation projects and has been developed in the Laboranova project. The underlying concept is based on the principle of a radical perspective change, which should foster creativity in the ideation phase. The game supports structured idea generation and evaluation for a given innovation case. The theTakeover game scenario needs to be adapted to the specific business case, which is in our example an app development studio in search for the next hyper-trends in mobile applications. The twelve players follow a structured process in which they generate and evaluate individual ideas. Within this process they are interrupted by the CEO announcing that the studio has been taken over by a large publisher. The players need to adapt to the new situation and re-work their ideas. The final result is a commonly created list of favourite ideas and their descriptions. Playing this game with twelve players generates in total 42 documented ideas
Business development, app development in mobile applications
Creativity, strategic innovation, idea generation
Business Students and Professionals
TheTakeover follows a server-client model.
The server is connected to a network/internet is running on the bemog engine.
The client requires no special software except a Web browser.
A PC with currently popular standard equipment is absolutely sufficient for use.
Number of Players
The number of players is 12. All players have a different role in the context of a mobile phone/apps innovation project.
How it Works
Each of the players logs into the game at the same time.
The players are divided into two groups.
Each group commonly follows a process to develop new ideas for the innovation of windows.
Beside following the process the players can interact with each other by the integrated chat system or any other means (direct, phone, email, …).
Each of the players have a role describing how they should behave within the game and which additional information they possibly have.
The process for each group consists of the following steps:
– Individual idea generation: Each of the players provide three ideas documented by a short and a long description.
– Common idea generation: The players discuss their ideas and select the most promising ones per group.
– Idea processing: While processing the idea an unfriendly takeover has occurred. The players must rethink their ideas under these new circumstances.
– Individual idea generation: Each of the players rethinks and changes the three ideas documented by a short and a long description.
– Common idea generation: The players discuss their new ideas and select the most promising ones per group.
– Summarizing: All ideas including their rating are displayed for documentation purposes.
The process can be observed by a game master.
The game master can initiate events which my rewinds the process.
The game is over when the three best ideas per group have been identified.